BUG: resumption of download does not work

RS richard22j at zoho.com
Fri Jan 12 08:11:05 PST 2018

From: Dr. Axel Stammler
Sent: Friday, January 12, 2018 2:20 PM

>Unfortunately my internet connection is slowly and unreliable — but Get I
>Player has been
>coping with that increasingly better, so first of all: Thank you!

>There seems to be (at least) one particular programme that offers a
>problem:

>   INFO: Downloaded: 28.24 MB (00:01:55) @ 0.53 Mb/s (hvfxsd1)
> [audio+video]
  > WARNING: Failed to download file segment [16]
  > WARNING: Retrying tv: 'Himalaya with Michael Palin - 3. Annapurna to
Everest (b0074qpt) [pre-watershed]'

>This goes on endlessly I am afraid. Usually downloads are resumed and
>finish perfectly,
>here this seems not to work.

>Is there anything I can do to improve the situation (except hope for better
>connection
>quality)?

It isn’t really fair to call it a bug.  As you yourself say, resuming
downloads often does work.

Sometimes the HLS modes are more reliable.  There is no HLShd mode for this
programme, but you can try
--tvmode=hlsvhigh

You can also try
--tvmode=hvfxsd2 and
--tvmode=hvfxsd3

If they don't work you can try lower resolutions.  Otherwise you may find if
you wait a week or so that the BBC replaces it with a version that downloads
better.

Best wishes
Richard