OT: Re: A few ffmpeg queries

Alan Milewczyk alan at soulman1949.com
Mon Sep 11 08:32:26 PDT 2017

On 11/09/2017 12:33, RS wrote:

> I have never used a Humax.  I bought a second-hand one years ago, but
> I think it had a faulty power supply.  The more recent models have
> FreeSat. It seems to be a general limitation of satellite receivers
> that I can have Freesat or multi-satellite with DiSEqC and USALS but
> not both.  I
> prefer multi-satellite.  The multi-satellite boxes are generally cheaper
> (maybe through not having to pay a FreeSat licence fee) and less locked
> down, although support is not so good.

I don't have multi-satellite facilities so I've never tried that in the
UK, however, at some stage, I may look into that for the Philippines.

> I find Teamviewer useful for remote control of my PC.  It has occurred
> to me that I could use it to set up get_iplayer downloads remotely,
> but I have never done it.

I use Teamviewer and it's superb for that purpose, although net speeds
in the Philippines are a challenge - it's a flaky service and I don't
get much above 1Mbps, whereas here in the UK, I'm at 200Mbps!

> I am not usually abroad long enough for the 30 day limit to be a
> problem. Being able to control recording on my satellite receiver
> remotely would be useful.  I have been looking on Amazon, and there
> are now a few android receivers.  I have never got very far with
> android. Google seems to want to control what I can do even more
> rigidly than Microsoft, although I have found some pages suggesting
> ways of running Linux on an android device.  On Amazon and TechKings I
> came across a range of Linux receivers with the name Zgemma which look
> interesting .

I use get_iplayer for anything on the Beeb that's available through
iPlayer, the rest, such as ITV, Channel 4, etc are for the Humax box.
The custom firmware for the Humax-FoxsatHDR is great because you can
view the full Freesat EPG on your PC and select programmes to record
using that. I do however have to set things up the day before as the
Humax needs to be rebooted remotely for recordings set up this way, but
you get used to working ahead.

>> As the Humax records some programmes with two audio streams (the
>> standard plus a Narrative stream)

> The Basic page of Mediainfo gives quite a good indication of what
> streams there are in a file.

Ah I wasn't aware of this program, I'll have a look at it later!

Kind regards

Alan