get_iplayer 3.05 released

Vangelis forthnet northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr
Wed Oct 18 16:01:11 PDT 2017

 On Wed Oct 18 23:05:03 BST 2017, Budge wrote:

> there is now a much more prominent advisory
> on deleting older downloads.

 Hello Alastair; this is the result of
https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/commit/c0162b2
From
https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/wiki/release300to309#changes-in-303

>> get_iplayer no longer prompts you to delete downloaded files
>> more than 30 days old. It displays a warning message instead.
>> The warning is also now displayed with --pid and --url
>> and with PVR searches (CLI and Web PVR Manager).
>> As before, the warning can be suppressed with
>> get_iplayer --prefs-add --no-purge

> What has prompted this additional reminder?

 Your guess is as good as mine; you'd have to register
with the Support Forums and ask the developer there
for a definitive answer...

> I can no longer see the download progrees
> expressed in Bytes, bits or minutes and seconds.
> (snip)
> Can I get it back?  --verbose perhaps?

 Again, the result of
https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/commit/8cf8913
(which was dubbed a "revamp"... ). From the 3.03 RN:

> The default logging output has been reduced.
> Some unnecessary output has been removed,
> and some is now only visible with --verbose

 Thankfully, I am not afraid of using my text editor
to revert locally some of the changes I am not
entirely OK with; for all you know, "unnecessary"
might be indispensable to another person...
(But I shouldn't be publicly critisising the decisions
made by the coder, I am already blocked on GitHub
for being vocal in the past...)

> my grateful thanks to all who make this possible.

... That would boil down to actually three persons:
1. @dinkypumpkin, the main maintainer/developer
and owner of the GitHub repositories
2. @squarepenguin, owner of the Support Forum website
3. Jon Hedgerows, responsible for various GiP PPAs.

 Though not linked immediately with development,
I would also thank the maintainer of this list
(David Woodhouse) and praise all volunteers
helping in this list and forums...

Besr regards,
Vangelis.