ffmpeg issue?

Vangelis forthnet northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr
Tue Oct 10 08:08:18 PDT 2017

 On Tue Oct 10 09:52:02 BST 2017, Hugh Reynolds wrote:

> Many thanks.

 You're welcome!

> No obvious way of finding the version.

 In the CLI:

get_iplayer -V

 If using the GUI exclusively, scroll all the way down
and you should see a footer with the GiP version, e.g.

get_iplayer Web PVR Manager 3.01-windows.0

> I inspected the get_iplayer.pl file, it was 3.03.

 Just as I thought...

> Yet again, during installation, perl.exe was locked
> and the installation of v3.04 had failed.
> Once that was unlocked, by using IObit Unlocker,
> (snip)
> Perl.exe is locked again after installing v3.04.
> Why does perl.exe get locked?

 When neither the CLI nor GUI of GiP are running,
you shouldn't see any perl.exe processes running in
TM and perl.exe shouldn't be locked! It appears
your issue is particular to your setup...

 I know this sounds like a really dumb question, but
are you sure you have properly exited the Web PVR
command prompt window prior to starting the update?

>> Before installation, close all running instances of get_iplayer,
>> including any Web PVR Manager server window that is open.

 For troubleshooting, IObit unlocker gives info about
all processes locking file perl.exe, you should start from
there...

 My gut feeling is you have an overzealous AV suite
that locks file perl.exe, but hard to tell - if so, try to
whitelist it inside your AV's exceptions list...

> All I'm doing is running the installation .exe.

 Have you tried with your AV temporarily turned off?
(No real risk there, the installation file is clean; could
also scan it prior to running it; after you're comfortable
with it, turn briefly the AV off and start installation...).

 My aging memory doesn't help, but thanks to my local
e-mail archive I was able to spot this previous list exchange:

http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/get_iplayer/2017-August/011080.html

where I simply speculated about pretty much the same things,
being prophetic at the same time:

>> Using Unlocker is just a workaround;
>> if you do not discover the root cause
>> of your issue and rectify it, then there's
>>a chance you'll revisit the issue in the next
>> GiP update (?)

 Only you can debug your own system, sorry :-(
(But anyone else can chime in with some other
ideas to aid you in that...).

Regards,
Vangelis.