--history usage

RS richard22j at zoho.com
Thu Nov 9 05:17:50 PST 2017

From: Ralph Corderoy
Sent: Wednesday, November 8, 2017 6:24 PM

>> What is the significance of the index numbers returned by a search
>> with --history?

>They are line numbers, one based, in ~/.get_iplayer/download_history.

>> Is there any easy way of getting the complete records?

>It's a simple text file of one record per line, with `|'-separated
>fields.

Hi Ralph

Thanks for that.  I had noticed that the PID always occurred at the
beginning of a line, so I ought to have thought of that.  Once I turned off
word wrap the format became a lot clearer.  I had not realised how easy it
was to import it to a spreadsheet.  In PlanMaker I did not even have to tell
it the separator; it worked it out for itself.  Calc was slightly more work,
but nothing onerous.  I haven't yet tried in Excel.

One thing that did require a bit of searching was the download date and time
in column 5.  I eventually found it was a Unix Epoch Timestamp, the number
of seconds since 1 January 1970.  It can be converted to a date by
formatting a cell containing =(((E1/60)/60)/24)+DATE(1970,1,1) as a date.

As a spreadsheet the history is a useful reminder of programmes downloaded
and the directory they were downloaded to.

The cache can also be imported to a spreadsheet, although there is a need
for a liberal sprinkling of --exclude options to remove programmes which are
never going to be of interest, especially for radio programmes.  It also has
to be remembered that the cache will probably be refreshed when get_iplayer
is started so the index numbers will change.  If the spreadsheet is going to
be used to identify programmes for download it is safer to use the PID.

Best wishes
Richard