Download speed and progress indicator

RS richard22j at zoho.com
Wed Nov 8 03:38:53 PST 2017

From: Jeremy Nicoll - ml gip
Sent: Tuesday, November 7, 2017 9:52 PM

>Actually that's not the width that matters.  The terminal window also has
>a width (and depth) and if it's set wider than your screen then you just
>have to scroll it sideways.

>In XP and W8.1 and presumably W10 too, if you click the icon at the top
>left of the window (on the titlebar) then choose Properties -> Layout
>you can set the size of the buffer lines in which output is stored, and
>also the maximum width of the terminal window.  I typically have

>  screen buffer  width 150 columns    height 9999 rows
>  window size          150            height   42 rows

Thanks, that is indeed the answer.  My desktop machine has a screen buffer
size width of 131 and the window size width is the same, and one laptop has
a screen buffer size width and window size width of 113.

If I look at the output on the laptop more carefully, I can see each line
ends "remai" and the last line is "ning" so it is 4 characters too short.

I was aware of the Properties on the command prompt window in Windows 10,
but I wasn't aware of it in XP (nor until a few minutes ago was I aware that
there was distinction between the NT cmd.exe and the DOS prompt).  I have
been using it to change the font size.  The default 6x12 pixels Consolas
font is very small, so I have been changing it to 9x20.

I have just been experimenting and the default width appears to be 80
characters for both screen buffer and window size, but it gets recalculated
if the font size is changed and if the window is made full screen (which is
what I normally use).

When I change the font size I have always got an error message telling me it
was unable to modify the shortcut.  Suggestions I have found from searching
, including making the change as administrator, have not worked.  I have
just found by accident that if the font size is 8x18 or less it can be
saved.

If I reduce the font size to 8x18 on the laptop the line does display
correctly.

As you say, it's complicated.

Best wishes
Richard