Download speed and progress indicator

Jeremy Nicoll - ml gip jn.ml.gti.91 at wingsandbeaks.org.uk
Tue Nov 7 13:52:22 PST 2017

On 2017-11-07 20:35, RS wrote:

> One thing that has occurred to me is that my desktop monitor is wider
> than the laptop screens.

Actually that's not the width that matters.  The terminal window also
has
a width (and depth) and if it's set wider than your screen then you just
have to scroll it sideways.

In XP and W8.1 and presumably W10 too, if you click the icon at the top
left of the window (on the titlebar) then choose Properties -> Layout
you can set the size of the buffer lines in which output is stored, and
also the maximum width of the terminal window.  I typically have

  screen buffer  width 150 columns    height 9999 rows
  window size          150            height   42 rows

You can also set colours and other options.

Those settings only apply to that window, or - if it was started by a
shortcut - to the way the window will open when next started by the same
shortcut.

There is also a Defaults option on the icon menu, with all the same
options, but that saves system defaults so that any command window
opened in the future (unless opened with a shortcut which had its
own options saved) will get the values you have set.

It's overly complicated, I think.

--
Jeremy Nicoll - my opinions are my own