daf* radiomodes broken by the BBC!

Vangelis forthnet northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr
Thu May 11 18:23:38 PDT 2017

On Fri May 12 01:02:11 BST 2017, tellyaddict wrote:

> Flash modes seem to be vanishing as well in 2.99
> and still just about available in 2.96.

Having been away all day from home,
I only recently became aware
of the breakage I posted about :-(

But I was equally p****d to discover that
not only the quick daf modes were gone,
flashaac modes in my GiP 2.97 copy
weren't picked up either... ;-{
Flashaac modes were very quick for me,
alas I tried GiP 2.96 but still no joy:

perl get_iplayer-296.pl --type=radio --pid=b08njqcb -i | FindStr modes =>

modes:          default:
hafhigh1,hafhigh2,hafstd1,hafstd2,hafmed1,hafmed2,haflo
w1,haflow2,hlsaacstd1,hlsaaclow1

Haf* modes are VERY slow compared to either daf*/flash*,
while whereas the hlsaac* ones are much quicker, they may
be corrupted for many programmes :-(

I guess it's a safe bet to say we're in no luck getting
the flash modes back, as the maintainer has already
removed them in GiP 3.00+ and does not support
that deprecated code...

> I'm finding it very frustrating at the moment
> since Dinky has stopped publishing fixes
> in the development version on Github
> until the final version is actually released.

... Gone are those days; I can echo your feelings
completely... And he's not willing to divulge any
details in the forums either, so lose-lose situation
any way you look at it...

> but what has actually changed?
> (snip)
> Again what's changed

Well, as you say both MPEG-DASH and RTMP
streams are both present inside the mediaselector API
URL for mediaset=pc, e.g. in the case of my mentioned
radio pid=b08njqcb => vpid=b08njqby =>

http://open.live.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/5/select/version/2.0/mediaset/pc/vpid/b08njqby

I am not the most appropriate person to answer
your "what" questions, especially since it's very
late at night here... Obviously something has been changed
in the XML blocks there or in the href URLs
themselves and thus GiP can no longer parse
this data successfully because it's not in a form
expected by GiP; sadly, as I'm sure you know,
I'm not a coder or regex expert, so
can't provide solutions for you/us...

If it comes to that, DASH manifest files can be
downloaded with youtube-dl, while for RTMP
streams one can always construct manual rtmpdump
commands (TBH though, haven't done that in a
big while...).

I'm sorry to say this again, but what this "low-traffic" list
needs is for some serious perl coders to come forth and
share their knowledge in a more "liberal" fashion - yes,
the sole maintainer is highly commendable for his
unwanning efforts over the years, but there's a but...

Goodnight (and Lord Knows what else'll broken
tomorrow ;-( ).