--pid and --pid-recursive now only works once with PVR

Mike Crowe mac at mcrowe.com
Tue May 9 14:15:56 PDT 2017

On Tuesday 09 May 2017 at 21:11:00 +0100, Mike Crowe wrote:
> For several years I've been enqueueing whole "brands" for radio programmes
> to be recorded with a single command like:
>
>  get_iplayer --pvr-queue --type radio --pid=b0072q60 --pid-recursive
>
> and then downloading new episodes automatically in the middle of the night with:
>
>  get_iplayer --pvr --metadata=generic
>
> I noticed that the files in the .get_iplayer/pvr/ directory were all named
> ONCE_<pid>, yet that didn't seem to matter. I never knowingly needed to
> enqueue the "brand" again for more downloads to occur in the future once
> new programmes had been broadcast.
>
> This all worked well until I upgraded from get_iplayer v2.99 to v3.00. It
> seems that the PVR ONCE_<pid> files are now being deleted once any
> programme has been downloaded that matches the brand. v3.01 seems to do the
> same.
>
> I've read through the release notes and I can't see this change mentioned.
>
> Looking at the code in $pvr->run() I can't see why these ONCE_ files
> weren't being deleted before. Perhaps something about the download was
> always failing previously, so $failcount was always non-zero for me?
> Perhaps the new scraping code means that far few programmes are being
> considered so it is possible to have downloaded them all, whereas in the
> past there were always programmes that were too old that could not be
> downloaded?
>
> It seems that $pvr->run() won't delete files that don't match /^ONCE_/ ,
> but $pvr->queue doesn't provide a way to create files with any other name.
>
> Is there a better way to enqueue series and brand PIDs so that they
> continue to work indefinitely?

Someone helpfully responded privately to point out that I should be using
--pvr-add rather than --pvr-queue.

It would appear that --pvr-add only gained support for PID-based searching
with 17330748fb260f7345fba7c5c1da2e87b683748e in v2.98, so it's not
surprising that I wasn't using it previously.

I'll fix my scripts.

Thanks!

Mike.