--pid and --pid-recursive now only works once with PVR

Mike Crowe mac at mcrowe.com
Tue May 9 13:11:00 PDT 2017

For several years I've been enqueueing whole "brands" for radio programmes
to be recorded with a single command like:

 get_iplayer --pvr-queue --type radio --pid=b0072q60 --pid-recursive

and then downloading new episodes automatically in the middle of the night with:

 get_iplayer --pvr --metadata=generic

I noticed that the files in the .get_iplayer/pvr/ directory were all named
ONCE_<pid>, yet that didn't seem to matter. I never knowingly needed to
enqueue the "brand" again for more downloads to occur in the future once
new programmes had been broadcast.

This all worked well until I upgraded from get_iplayer v2.99 to v3.00. It
seems that the PVR ONCE_<pid> files are now being deleted once any
programme has been downloaded that matches the brand. v3.01 seems to do the
same.

I've read through the release notes and I can't see this change mentioned.

Looking at the code in $pvr->run() I can't see why these ONCE_ files
weren't being deleted before. Perhaps something about the download was
always failing previously, so $failcount was always non-zero for me?
Perhaps the new scraping code means that far few programmes are being
considered so it is possible to have downloaded them all, whereas in the
past there were always programmes that were too old that could not be
downloaded?

It seems that $pvr->run() won't delete files that don't match /^ONCE_/ ,
but $pvr->queue doesn't provide a way to create files with any other name.

Is there a better way to enqueue series and brand PIDs so that they
continue to work indefinitely?

Thanks.

Mike.