Further Radio Modes Experience

Budge ajebay at errichel.co.uk
Tue May 9 01:49:15 PDT 2017

Back in February I was trying to sort out modes settings and received
some detailed advice from SquarePenguin on possible radio mode settings
that would achieve my objective of recording classical music (from
radio3) at the best resolution but having spoken word at a lower
resolution when recording with pvr.

In short the solution was to leave the "classical Music" pvr list items
to use the default radio (best) setting but add the line:-
radiomode = good
to the pvr items for spoken word.

Time flies and I confess I have only just tried this, prompted by
extravagant disk usage where typical programmes jumped from 30-40 MiB to
90-100 MiB.

The result achieved the desired saving, in this case from 99.6 MiB to
30.0 MiB but my Linn player will not play the file.  A sense of deja vu
here as I had similar problems back in January.

Mediainfo for the large file which plays is:-

alastair at ibmserver2:~/mastermedia/Music/Radio_Programme/The_News_Quiz/News_Quiz_Extra_Series_20>
mediainfo
News_Quiz_Extra_Series_20_-_2a._Episode_2_b08ntk48_original_best.m4a
General
Complete name                            :
News_Quiz_Extra_Series_20_-_2a._Episode_2_b08ntk48_original_best.m4a
Format                                   : MPEG-4
Format profile                           : Apple audio with iTunes info
Codec ID                                 : M4A  (isom/iso2)
File size                                : 99.6 MiB
Duration                                 : 43 min 18 s
Overall bit rate mode                    : Constant
Overall bit rate                         : 322 kb/s
Album                                    : News Quiz Extra: Series 20
Album/Performer                          : BBC Radio
Part/Position                            : 20
Track name                               : Episode 2
Track name/Position                      : 2
Grouping                                 : Comedy
Performer                                : BBC Radio 4 Extra
Composer                                 : BBC iPlayer
Genre                                    : Comedy
ContentType                              : Music
Recorded date                            : 2017-05-01T23:10:00+01:00
Encoded date                             : UTC 1904-01-01 00:00:00
Tagged date                              : UTC 2017-05-08 22:29:23
Writing application                      : Lavf57.56.100
Copyright                                : 2017 British Broadcasting
Corporation, all rights reserved
Cover                                    : Yes
Lyrics                                   : Miles is joined by Hugo
Rifkind, Katy Brand, Rich Hall and Kiri Pritchard-McLean in the extended
version of last Friday's show. /  / Our top story is of course the UK
General Election. But we're also talking about the French Presidential
elections. /  / Producer: Benjamin Sutton / A BBC Studios Production. /
/ EPISODE / http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08ntk48 /  / SERIES /
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08n274n
Comment                                  : A satirical review of the
week's news, chaired by Miles Jupp.

Audio
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : AAC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Audio Codec
Format profile                           : LC
Codec ID                                 : 40
Duration                                 : 43 min 18 s
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 320 kb/s
Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
Channel positions                        : Front: L R
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate                               : 46.875 FPS (1024 spf)
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Stream size                              : 99.1 MiB (100%)
Language                                 : English
Default                                  : Yes
Alternate group                          : 1
Encoded date                             : UTC 1904-01-01 00:00:00
Tagged date                              : UTC 1904-01-01 00:00:00

Mediainfo for the file resulting from radiomode = good is:-

alastair at ibmserver2:~/mastermedia/Music/Radio_Programme/The_News_Quiz/News_Quiz_Extra_Series_20>
mediainfo
News_Quiz_Extra_Series_20_-_2._Episode_2_b08ntk48_original_good.m4a
General
Complete name                            :
News_Quiz_Extra_Series_20_-_2._Episode_2_b08ntk48_original_good.m4a
Format                                   : MPEG-4
Format profile                           : Apple audio with iTunes info
Codec ID                                 : M4A  (isom/iso2)
File size                                : 30.0 MiB
Duration                                 : 43 min 18 s
Overall bit rate mode                    : Constant
Overall bit rate                         : 96.8 kb/s
Album                                    : News Quiz Extra: Series 20
Album/Performer                          : BBC Radio
Part/Position                            : 20
Track name                               : Episode 2
Track name/Position                      : 2
Grouping                                 : Comedy
Performer                                : BBC Radio 4 Extra
Composer                                 : BBC iPlayer
Genre                                    : Comedy
ContentType                              : Music
Recorded date                            : 2017-05-01T23:10:00+01:00
Encoded date                             : UTC 1904-01-01 00:00:00
Tagged date                              : UTC 2017-05-08 04:13:24
[...]

Format profile                           : HE-AAC / LC
Codec ID                                 : 40
Duration                                 : 43 min 18 s
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 96.0 kb/s
Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
Channel positions                        : Front: L R
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 kHz / 24.0 kHz
Frame rate                               : 23.438 FPS (1024 spf)
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Stream size                              : 29.7 MiB (99%)
Language                                 : English
Default                                  : Yes
Alternate group                          : 1
Encoded date                             : UTC 1904-01-01 00:00:00
Tagged date                              : UTC 1904-01-01 00:00:00

Both files check out with AtomicParsley and both play with software
players so it looks like a repeat of the Linn problem even though I am
using their older firmware which solved my "long file" problem.

Will now try radiomode = better and radiomode = worse but if anybody has
any other suggestions please let me know.

Budge