[ANN] get_iplayer v3.00 released

Jim web web at audiomisc.co.uk
Mon May 1 06:13:59 PDT 2017

In article <34D6FFEC101D414CBE130958F6A7A360 at RJCDESK>, RS
<richard22j at zoho.com> wrote:
> >From: Jim web Sent: Monday, May 1, 2017 12:59

> >In practice I only use gip via giving it a programme pid number via
> >command line. Do I need to have the new version of gip to cache meta
> >info?

> I'm guessing, but I suspect the answer is it depends what metadata you
> want. The files I downloaded with v2.99 after the BBC's changes had a
> usable <title> and put the PID in some other fields and get_iplayer in
> others.  If you're content with that you probably don't need the new
> version.

In the past the default behavour has tended to be fine. Having just a title
or name plus the pid is all normally I need. And TBH adding a name after
the event is easy enough anyway. As yet I've not tried how to get the title
rather than the default. But looking at the webpages on this I guess I need
to add something like

--prefix <title>

to my command line use(?) I'll experiment. Sometimes with a series the
'episode number' is handy. But until now I've not done more than use what
the default gave me, and altered that after the event on occasion.

FWIW I use a small program I wrote that just reads a text file that lists
for each item a 'mode' and a pid and it calls gip for each in turn. All
else failing I could just mod that to add names I also list in the file.
But obviously better if I make use of what gip can do.

Jim

--
Electronics  https://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa/Scots_Guide/intro/electron.htm