HLS/DASH downloads resumable across sessions

Richard Cole richard42k at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Mar 6 06:35:50 PST 2017

This was a feature introduced in v2.98.  The most common problem I have,
rather than needing to resume the download, is not having enough free disk
space for twice the file size.  In addition to the downloaded file a
temporary file is created during the multiplexing by ffmpeg, and if there is
not enough disk space the multiplexing fails.  The downloaded file is
preserved, so it is possible to run ffmpeg manually.  However it has taken
me a long time get to the stage of knowing the parameters to pass to ffmpeg,
and I still don't know the parameters for AtomicParsley.  What I was going
to ask was for what I thought would be new feature, for commands to be made
available to run ffmpeg and AtomicParsley manually after a failure.

I have now discovered the new feature already does what I was going to ask
for.  If the failed command is repeated, there is a prompt saying the
download is already in the history, and to use --force.  If the command is
repeated with --force there is then a message telling you to use --overwrite
to re-download.  Otherwise it just resumes from wherever it got to on the
previous attempt, including just running ffmpeg and AtomicParsley if
necessary.

I thought it was worth mentioning in case anyone else had not spotted this
aspect of the new feature.

I have also noticed in v2.99 that DAF radio downloads run at about 10 times
the speed (40Mbit/s) of HAF downloads.