Podcast sample rate

RS richard22j at zoho.com
Mon Jul 17 05:10:29 PDT 2017

Vangelis's mention of podcasts has reminded me of another comment I was
going to make.  A long time ago someone, it may have been Jim, took me to
task for referring to a 44.1kHz sample rate.  He said it must have been a
very old file, because the BBC had standardised on a 48kHz sample rate.

In fact every BBC podcast I have seen, admittedly a tiny sample of the
population of podcasts, has used a 44.1kHz sample rate.

I read a forum post, probably in something like hydrogenaudio, where someone
said he resampled everything to 48kHz because the convenience of having
everything at the same sample rate outweighed a tiny increase in quantising
noise.  (I worked it out once.  I think for 16 bit linear encoding it is
about -95dB.)   I can't understand the rationale of going the other way.
To resample everything that is going to be used as a podcast at 44.1kHz
seems a huge waste of effort.