Version "shortened"

Vangelis forthnet northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr
Sun Jul 16 17:25:57 PDT 2017

On Sun Jul 16 23:55:54 BST 2017, Budge wrote:

> Just tried to get latest version of Dead Ringers

Hello - I am unfamiliar with that BBC offering,
but a bit of searching suggests you must be talking
about the following R4 show:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007gd85

According to

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007gd85/episodes/guide

"latest" version is: Series 18, Episode 14/07/2017,
with an iPlayerRadio page as follows:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08xcwz4

That episode was first broadcast, well, last Friday
14/07/2017 at 18:45 BST on R4LW.

> and more than half the programme appears to be
> a cricket commentary with Dead Ringers coming in
> towards the end of the 30 mins for the last 5-6 mins.
> The download is shown not original but "shortened."

 If you are indeed talking about --pid=b08xcwz4,
then this is something I can't replicate...
On the iPlayer page itself, the programme does
seem to be streamed in its entirety.

get_iplayer --type=radio --pid=b08xcwz4 --radiomode=dafmed2

does fetch an audio file with default filename
"Dead_Ringers_Series_18_-_2017-07-14_b08xcwz4_shortened.m4a",
so indeed a "shortened" version, but the audio content
is identical to what's on line (I wouldn't expect differently...).

 Furthermore, last Friday's episode has been also
made available as a "podcast" version (as part of
Friday Night Comedy from BBC Radio 4), either as
an online stream at
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p058rmcz
(downloadable with GiP with --type=radio --pid=p058rmcz)
or as a direct MP3 download via
http://open.live.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/5/redir/version/2.0/mediaset/audio-nondrm-download/proto/http/vpid/p058rm6r.mp3

All the above avenues do provide a full episode.

 There's an off-chance you downloaded via
a PVR search very soon after the scheduled
end of broadcast of that episode; for whatever
reason, that specific episode was delayed
(the show preceding it was overrun) and the version
of DR uploaded initially (automatically) for AOD
(in fact as an edit of the live radio stream) was in
the state you described. At a later stage, the iPlayerRadio
team did replace that initial incomplete version
with the proper full show... More info at:
http://iplayerhelp.external.bbc.co.uk/radio/computer/cut_short

If you're actually meaning a different pid, then please specify...

Regards,
Vangelis.