Problem with Radio Downloads

Simon Morgan s.morgan at skm.org.uk
Fri Jan 27 08:39:30 PST 2017

> >> get_iplayer mailing list
> >> get_iplayer at lists.infradead.org
> >
> > From my limited understanding of these things, paying for 2 lines
> will
> > not increase your download speed without additional equipment. I
> > believe you would need "bonding" or "aggregating" of the lines. Do a
> > Google and you can read all about it.
> >

> Thanks for the heads up.  You are correct and I do have all these good
> things installed.  Just making the point that we are still only one
> step better than semaphore in some parts of the world.

See MacFarlane's response. I was a bit out of date with my knowledge about
these things but in my earlier experience, the equipment needed was pretty
expensive. My get_iplayer downloads take forever here in Pembrokeshire.
Never mind semaphore, just imagine the speed of a Welsh slug.

I did examine the prospect for wide area wifi but being quite hilly, I
couldn't see the transmitting antenna so no good. I am 4.5 km from the
nearest BT cabinet which is being fibre enabled. It probably won't make much
difference at this distance.

I use get_iplayer setting modes of " flashhd,tv25fps,radiobest" in the
browser PVR which I then trigger in the evening when I go to bed. Usually
the download(s)are completed during the night and then copied to my media
server (WD MyCloudEX2) which seems to serve anything to my home cinema
system (Onkyo and Panasonic TV).

All in all, get_iplayer is one of the most useful pieces of software I use
so thanks to the team.

Rgds
Simon Morgan