Problem with Radio Downloads

C E Macfarlane c.e.macfarlane at macfh.co.uk
Fri Jan 27 04:46:44 PST 2017

It depends ...

You can just buy a median priced router with two or more WAN ports that will
load-balance between them, but that still results in the points where you
come out into the wider world of the internet having two or more IPs.  This
can lead to particular types of problem.  For example, your bank, if it
appears to receive packets for one session from two different IPs, may throw
a wobbly and end the session, perhaps even requiring you to go through an
account unlocking rigmarole before you can get back in.  More relevant here,
it may also affect downloads, where the server might not allow sending
packets that are part of the same download to different destination IPs.
Therefore, your router, besides being able to load-balance, also has to have
the intelligence not to try to split a single connection with a single
Session ID across the two or more lines.  Some can do that, but not all.

But, as you say, you can 'bond' the lines.  That means that all the packets
issuing from or destined for the different lines reach the internet via a
server at the other end, which collates and retransmits them, and thus they
appear to the rest of the world as issuing from a single IP.  This avoids
the potential problems described above, but it costs, quite a lot in fact.
It was the system that was previously in use by my legacy client, and he is
well pleased to be rid of it.  When I went to effect the changeover to FTTP,
I found the bonded line system had developed a fault since my previous visit
of almost exactly a year ago when I had left everything definitely working,
and was only working at the speed of a single line anyway, so for an unknown
length of time, possibly as long as several months, my client had been
paying for three lines AND the bonding service but only getting the
bandwidth that a single line had previously provided on its own!

Perhaps Budge may care to check his bandwidth to satisfy himself that all
his lines are fully functional:
	http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

Regards Charles.

--