Issues with Large Files

RS richard22j at zoho.com
Mon Jan 23 09:24:21 PST 2017

This page describes stsz.
https://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php/QuickTime_container#stsz
There are two modes, uniform sample size and different sample size.  I
assume the sample size is the number of bits to encode the level, namely 16.
If there is a large table it must be because the different sample size flag
is set.  For a 9200s file the number of sample sizes would be 441,600,000.
Unless the sampling frequency deviates from 48kHz, the table size is
directly related to track  duration.  I do not know why the different sample
size flag should be set; maybe it is the presence of the thumbnail.  You
could try running it through ffmpeg with -vn -acodec copy.

Interestingly the Linn amplifiers support 24 bit encoding and a sampling
frequency of 192 kHz, which would make the stsz table 4 times as large.  (As
the article you linked to said, 192kHz sampling is pointless or even
counter-productive, and there little to be gained by 24 bit encoding for a
production version.)

I did ask whether the number of samples per frame was always 1024.  It seems
it can also be 960 but 1024 is more common.

I thought you had given the name of the opera your Linn player would not
play, but going back through the thread all I could find was that it was
9200s, so it is fairly short.  Der Rosenkavalier is just under 5 hours.  I
downloaded it from dashhigh1 and played it on my Triax satellite receiver,
which cost a tiny fraction of the cheapest Linn, and it played all through.
I skipped through it, but it played to the end without problem, as have
several shorter operas.