Issues with Large Files

Budge ajebay at errichel.co.uk
Mon Jan 23 03:45:43 PST 2017

[snip]

> What I haven't yet understood, both from the problem you have and the
> problem I have, is why it is more difficult for a player to play a long
> piece in AAC than in other formats.  I thought this was something
> segmentation and fragmentation was supposed to deal with, to facilitate
> streaming.

You will have to ask somebody who knows about these things but when I
chased Linn this is relevant part of the reply:-

"The issue is heavily influenced by but not directly related to track
duration. (Possibly too much technical detail - it's caused by the
number of entries in the 'stsz' table. Problem files have huge numbers
of entries, often with repeated small values; the mpeg spec allows but
doesn't encourage encoders to combine these blocks together.)"

Hope this helps.