Re "Issues with Large Files" and "Recent Radio Downloads Not Playing".

Budge ajebay at errichel.co.uk
Mon Jan 23 09:17:23 PST 2017

On 23/01/17 15:36, batguano999 wrote:

> Hi
> I think that your problems are caused because the aac files muxed by FFmpeg into m4a when using get_iplayer are not compatible with your Linn DS devices.
> This is also the case with some other hardware players. I know from personal experience.
> Linn have told you "...the problems are caused by the file..."
> And if you can be bothered to file a bug report to FFmpeg they will probably tell you that it is your player that's "buggy".
> To play the BBC music files with their original aac data unconverted you might be able to do this by using a different m4a muxer instead of FFmpeg.
> That's what I have to do.
>
> But some work is needed, chatter about "radio 3 operas" and "The News Quiz" won't cut it.

Hi and many thanks for the info.  I have not been idle, I looked at the
shorter files which will not play using AtomicParsley.  I suspected the
file metadata.

No problems with the Atoms but there is a problem which I didn't see
using mediainfo, probably through my ignorance.  I ran AtomicParsley
<file.m4a> -T 1 and at the end of the files which do play I get:-

AtomicParsley version: 0.9.6 (utf8)
Movie duration: 1996.800 seconds (33:16.80) - 320.00* kbp/sec bitrate
(*=approximate)
Low-level details. Total tracks: 1
Trk  Type  Handler                    Kind  Lang  Bytes
1    soun  SoundHandler               mp4a  eng   79872007
      320.00 kbp/s  MPEG-4 AAC Low Complexity/LC Profile    channels: [2]

But at the end of those which do not, I get:-

AtomicParsley version: 0.9.6 (utf8)
Movie duration: 1670.400 seconds (27:50.40) - 320.00* kbp/sec bitrate
(*=approximate)
Low-level details. Total tracks: 1
Trk  Type  Handler                    Kind  Lang  Bytes
1    soun  SoundHandler               mp4a  eng   66816000
      320.00 kbp/s  MPEG-4 Unknown profile: 0x0    channels: (2)

So the profile is not recognised by AtomicParsley.  Since I have not
changed AtomicParsley in months the problem is either from BBC or ffmpeg.

Linn have raised an internal bug for the long file problem but it seems
to me the above profile issue is another different problem.

Trouble is, if this is due to ffmpeg update, I have no idea when change
took place but certainly within the last week or so.  (Or on reflection
was it when I upgraded from openSUSE 42.1 to 42.2??? Groan)  How can I
find that info on my system?  That would at least enable me to test and
if correct demonstrate to ffmpeg that they have introduced a bug.

At the limit of my knowledge here but now have to write the correct
ffmpeg command to encode the GiP into flac but without losing the
tagging info which BBC are improving to a point where I can use it.
Grateful for some help with the command to add to my prefs if you have
time please.
Budge