Issues with Large Files

RS richard22j at zoho.com
Wed Jan 18 04:50:42 PST 2017

It seems a bit extreme to throw out the amplifier.  At 320kbit/s can you
tell the difference between AAC  and MP3 in a blind comparison?  You can
convert to MP3 after a download fairly effortlessly using a preset as
described here under Option Presets and Shortcuts and then Custom commands.
https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/wiki/documentation
It takes about 6% of real time.  If MP3 is not acceptable, as suggested you
could convert to FLAC.

If the Linn player moves seamlessly from one file to the next you could
split it into fixed length files of half an hour or an hour.

What I haven't yet understood, both from the problem you have and the
problem I have, is why it is more difficult for a player to play a long
piece in AAC than in other formats.  I thought this was something
segmentation and fragmentation was supposed to deal with, to facilitate
streaming.