Issues with Large Files

RS richard22j at zoho.com
Sat Jan 14 04:05:20 PST 2017

If that's the case there is no point in making the suggestion I was about to
make, but I'll make it anyway.

The problem I had with AGPtEK was that they had done their testing with
files about 7 years old, so they could not take account of recent changes
such as the M4A Minor Version 512, and clips of only 3 or 4min.  If Linn's
problem had been similar I was going to suggest re-encoding with the Nero
AAC encoder, which I understand is highly regarded, but is of a similar age.
It means using the decoder to convert from .M4A/.AAC to .WAV and then
re-encoding with the encoder.  That is not as daunting as it sounds.  The
decoder is very fast.  The encoder is much faster than the AAC codec built
in to ffmpeg.  It encodes a 24min 128kbit/s file in 20s, which compares with
about 10min for the ffmpeg aac codec.

It is no longer available on nero.com, but it is here
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Audio/Audio-CD-Rippers-Encoders/Nero-Digital-Audio.shtml

I have looked at some files ranging from 12kbit/s with an 8kHz sample rate
to 320kbit/s with a 48kHz sample rate.  They all have 1024 samples per
frame.  Is that part of the AAC standard?  If it is, it is inevitable that
with a sampling rate of 48kHz there are going to be just under 47 frames per
second.  What is surprising that Linn were surprised by it, although I am
always suspicious of people who refer to "chunks" when there is a recognised
technical term.

Does the Linn play all the files in a directory in turn?  It it does, would
it help to split the file into separate files for each act of the opera?