Avoiding cache refresh

Howard Orgel Howard.Orgel at orgels.demon.co.uk
Fri Feb 3 10:07:25 PST 2017

On Fri, 3 Feb 2017 17:50:27 +0200, Vangelis forthnet wrote:

> On Fri Feb 3 14:53:19 GMT 2017, Howard Orgel wrote:
>
> > You can always force a cache refresh manually at any time:
> >
> > get_iplayer -f --force [type=< >]
>
> You actually mean
>
> get_iplayer -f --force [--type=< >]

Oops!  Yes I did.  This will teach me to properly proofread my own
postings.

> In fact, "--type" option should now be issued only for radio programmes;

Moot point.

> get_iplayer -f --force
>
> will by default refresh the tv.cache,

I use --type=radio,tv to refresh both radio and tv caches in one command.
Since the Windows command prompt window holds a maximum screen buffer of
only 9,999 lines I have to write the output of my cache refresh command to
a text file to make it convenient (for me!) to look through the caches.
The command I use is of the form:

get_iplayer -f --force --type radio,tv > d:\download\date_cache.txt

which produces an approximately 2.5Mb file which is easily manageable in
Windows Notepad (other text editors are available!)

> while --type=podcast,
> despite indeed refreshing podcast.cache, has no practical value
> nowadays, since, due to changes on the beeb side (that won't be
> fixed by the dev), podcast downloading functionality is broken...

I am aware of this. :(

> > to prevent unexpected cache refreshes
> > if sixteen days have elapsed
> > since my last forced cache refresh.
>
> The problem with that approach is that newer
> versions of GiP (2.95+) come, by default, with a
> 30-day cache support; however, this support comes
> with 7-day increments; this means that if one omits
> to manually refresh the cache at least once a week,
> there'll be gaps created within the 30-day cache.

I know this, and manually refresh the caches every weekend.  I still
prefer to have the caches not refreshed unless I specifically request it.
The 16-day expiry time was reached by increments to maintain control over
cache refreshes even when I miss a weekend manual refresh because I'm away
from home; and because I'm weird!

> A (deprecated) solution is to rebuild the whole 30-day
> cache from scratch by issuing:
>
> get_iplayer --type=tv -f --refresh-limit-tv=30 --force
>
> and for radio (extremely slow):
>
> get_iplayer --type=radio -f --refresh-limit-radio=30 --force

Again, I have read this.  Thank you, though, for the reminder.
A good reason for doing this, perhaps, would be after restoration of a
system from backup, post disk failure.

I hope I've properly proofread my post this time!

--
Regards, Howard.

Howard.Orgel at orgels.demon.co.uk
http://www.orgels.demon.co.uk