Quacks - iPlayer release before broadcast

RS richard22j at zoho.com
Mon Aug 21 07:46:08 PDT 2017

Hi Ralph

Not quite.  A programme does not need to be in the cache to be downloaded.
Some metadata may not be available, but most of the time get_iplayer can
retrieve it from other sources.  In this case I can download the episodes
one at a time using the episode PIDs.  I can download all the episodes using
the series PID and --pid-recursive.

If I don't know how to find  PIDs, or more particularly how to
use --pid-recursive, or just want get_iplayer to do the work for me, I would
use a search string.
get_iplayer quacks --type tv

At present without any change in the date that will only find the first
episode.  If I look in tv.cache.old, which is the state of the cache before
I changed the date this morning, there is only one occurrence of "Quacks".
If I look in tv.cache, refreshed after changing the date to 23 August, there
are two occurrences of "Quacks" for the first two episodes.

If I now do the same search get_iplayer finds the first 2 episodes but not
all 6.

The first question is whether it is safe to change the date to 5 weeks
ahead.  I suspect the answer is No.

The next question is whether get_iplayer supports programmes' being made
available in the iPlayer up to 6 weeks before broadcast or whether that is a
request for a new feature.

The third question is if get_iplayer does already support it, what the
commands are.

Best wishes
Richard