Quacks - iPlayer release before broadcast

RS richard22j at zoho.com
Mon Aug 21 04:46:29 PDT 2017

> Sent: Monday, August 21, 2017 10:54  I wrote

>I received the following reply directly from Fred Flange.  I haven't tried
>it since I have retrieved all the episodes using the series PID
>and --pid-recursive.

I have now tried (in v3.01) changing the date to 23 August.  That causes the
cache to be refreshed again and then get_iplayer does indeed find one more
episode, from 22 August.  Will that have the effect of deleting 2 days of
entries from the beginning of my cache?  If I change the date as suggested
to the end of the series 5 weeks away will my entire cache be deleted?

Is --future the correct way to do it?  That on its own is not enough.  The
wiki says I have to use
--refresh-future --refresh
and then warns that indexing can take quite a bit longer.  It also says it
is only available for BBC TV and radio programmes up to 14 days in advance,
so it is hardly a solution to this problem.  Also, I don't want to flood the
cache with hundreds of future programmes.  I only want to find programmes
for this one series.

There is a line in the code
logger "WARNING: Use --future to download future programmes that are already
available from iPlayer.\n";
but I have not seen that displayed (possibly because I have not
set --verbose or whatever option is needed) and --future does not seem to
have any effect.

Any thoughts?