New radio PIDs, more than 8 characters - "solved"

Vangelis forthnet northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr
Tue Aug 15 16:12:56 PDT 2017

 On Mon Aug 14 13:19:14 BST 2017, M Clark wrote:

> changing all 7 occurrences (sigh...) of
> [bp]0[a-z0-9]{6}
> (?:[bp]0[a-z0-9]{6}|w[a-z0-9]{7,14})
> solves the w3*, w1* problem for Me.

 Hi Martin; that new code still assumes that both Red Bee & PIPs
PIDs will have "0" as the second character in the string.
I am not saying this is something that will have to be dealt with soon,
but I've watched Red Bee PIDs move from "b08*****" to "b09*****"
and, recently, from "b0909***" to "b0910***", e.g. "b0910w0x".

 If this is a pattern, then I expect strings like "b0999***" to appear in
the future;
and the next logical (?) step would be strings beginning with "b1******"
(in which case the amended code will break..).
Pure speculation on my part, though...

 I haven't done the maths myself (number of permutations of 7 alphanumeric
strings),
this is supposed to be a huge integer; but, as PIDs are unique
(can't be recycled), linked to a specific audio-visual offering from the
beeb,
that huge number is bound to be exhausted sometime...

Regards,
Vangelis.