World Service podcast bit rates

RS richard22j at zoho.com
Tue Aug 15 04:40:54 PDT 2017

This is off topic so if you are going to be offended please stop reading.

Vangelis mentioned at the weekend that the World Service is very popular
overseas.  I don't doubt it.  It seems to have a very wide range of very
informative programmes.  My problem is being selective.  At one time I used
to use Juice to retrieve all the podcasts I might be interested in and found
myself drowning in downloads I was never going to have time to listen to.
That is not the reason for this post.

I noticed that some of the programmes mentioned in the discussion about w1,
w3 and 15 digit PIDS were limited to dafmed, hafmed and hlsaacmed and a bit
rate of 96kbit/s.  They also mostly had podcasts, and in the UK I was
offered a choice of 128kbit/s and 64kbit/s.  I was aware that BBC radio
outside the UK was at one time limited to 96kbit/s, but I did not know if
that limit still applied.  It is difficult to find the answer on the BBC's
web site.  I don't know either whether the 128kbit/s podcast option is
offered outside the UK.

If it is, it seems a lot more attractive than 96kbit/s HE-AAC with the SBR
extension from get_iplayer.  As Vangelis pointed out a few weeks ago, if
HE-AAC with SBR is played on a player that does not support SBR half the
bandwidth is lost.  I have been wondering how best to deal with that.
Converting to MP3 seems a possibility, despite the purists' objection that
it is converting from one lossy format to another.  It seems ffmpeg does not
support SBR, but VLC could be used for the conversion.  The podcast is
already available as MP3.

Even if 128kbit/s is not offered for podcasts outside the UK, 64kbit/s MP3
is probably better than 96kbit/s HE-AAC with half the bandwidth missing.

There is something else surprising I noticed this morning about the latest
episode of Science in Action, p05bdb8p.  The original version was limited to
96kbit/s with dafmed, hafmed and hlsaacmed.  The podcast version, p05c1hf1,
not only had dafstd, hafstd and hlsaacstd at 128kbit/s, but also dafhigh and
hafhigh at 320kbit/s.