Playing BBC R3 FLAC files recorded by nightly VLC

Paul Thornett pthornett at gmail.com
Sun Aug 6 08:50:13 PDT 2017

> If Paul Thornett right clicks on the Radio iPlayer, or whatever it is called now, it will tell him the bit rate.  It will be 320kbit/s unless he has a slow connection or is suffering from geo-blocking.

You are, of course, absolutely right. Except that right-clicking
produces 96k rather than 320k. This surprises me as I'm not usually
the victim of geo-blocking (I use a DNS trick) - attested to by the
fact I use GIP all the time and experience no restrictions.
Latest update: yes, apparently my DNS provider acknowledges there is
indeed a problem which they are working on, so that presumably
explains the 96k.

But, really, how astonishing. Why on earth didn't the BBC go the whole
hog and allow the lossless music to be stored for 30 days? If anyone
mentions a lack of space, then please try to explain why the GIP
--streaminfo parameter run against, say, "I know who you are" (episode
8) produces literally dozens of alternative streams for this 1
program.

Regards,

Paul Thornett