Playing BBC R3 FLAC files recorded by nightly VLC

RS richard22j at zoho.com
Sun Aug 6 07:04:16 PDT 2017

If Paul Thornett right clicks on the Radio iPlayer, or whatever it is called
now, it will tell him the bit rate.  It will be 320kbit/s unless he has a
slow connection or is suffering from geo-blocking.

He is not making a digital recording.  The digital to analogue converter in
his sound card is feeding an analogue signal to his speakers and Audacity is
taking  that analogue signal and converting it to digital.  As you point
out, the stream from the BBC has a sample rate of 48kHz.  Audacity’s default
sample rate is 44.1kHz, which is where that sample rate comes from.  The
additional quantisation noise from re-sampling is small.  Far greater
distortion is introduced by the digital to analogue and then analogue to
digital conversions.

Better quality will be achieved by using get_iplayer to download the
streams, even at 128kbit/s.  get_iplayer offers AAC at a range of bit rates
up to 320kbit/s.  get_iplayer will not deliver the FLAC streams.  If he
wants FLAC from the PROMs he will have to get up in the early hours of the
morning, but as you have pointed out all R3 output is available live (or
delayed 2 minutes or so) as FLAC during the trial.