Possible To Get BBC R3 In FLAC using GiP?

C E Macfarlane c.e.macfarlane at macfh.co.uk
Thu Aug 3 04:38:53 PDT 2017

Thanks Vangelis for a very complete explanation ... Further points below ...
--
www.macfh.co.uk/MacFH.html

Thanks, not too bad, and you I hope.

>      The BBC do not provide AOD in flac, hence
>     it's impossible to acquire such files via GiP
>     (which currently only supports on-demand streams).
>     Recent Support Forum thread:
>     https://squarepenguin.co.uk/forums/thread-1463-post-6518.html

Ah, a 'CEM standard'* W7 build I'm creating for my newer PCs already has a
recent version of VLC installed, I wonder if that might be able to download
the FLAC stream?  I'll look into it.

* I use builds to my own standards on all my PCs, so that as far as possible
regardless of age they all have the same suite of programmes installed.

>     > are only live broadcasts available as FLAC?
>
>      Precisely :-) Do note that this feature is only a
>     BBC Labs test; so it might not return after
>     Proms season is over.
>     There has been a relevant (albeit off-topic)
>     list thread back in April
>     http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/get_iplayer/2017-April/01
>     0436.html
>     when the experiment first went live, but TBH
>     the choice of thread title isn't very
>     indicative of the thread's subject (so as
>     to spot it easily inside the list archives)... ;-(

Too right.  No wonder I didn't find it!  It was obviously a great mistake to
search each month's thread titles for something relevant, like 'flac' for
example :-)

> [...]
>
>     ffmpeg -v 16 -stats -re -i
>     "https://vs-dash-ww-rd-live.bbcfmt.hs.llnwd.net/al/lossless/cl
>     ient_manifest.mpd"
>      -t 00:30:00 -vn -c:a flac BBCR3LL-rc.flac
>
>     BTW, if you plan to edit the recorded flac stream
>     further with FFmpeg, you'll bump on this bug:
>     https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/4905
>     You'll have to
>     DECODE TO WAV => PIPE => EDIT => ENCODE TO FLAC
>     E.g. to cut out a segment from an hour's worth
>     of live stream, I used:
>
>     ffmpeg -v 8 -stats -i original.flac -vn -f wav - | ffmpeg -v
>     8 -stats -i - -ss 00:42:19 -to 00:58:11 -vn -af
>     aformat=s16:48000 cut.flac
>
>      If you can't compile for yourself that
>     special, DASH enabled, build of FFmpeg,
>     then your best bet is to try a recent nightly
>     build of VLC 3.0.0-git (win builds link):
>
>     http://nightlies.videolan.org/build/win32/last/
>
>      Often times, those nightly builds are unstable
>     (might even cause BSODs), but nothing evil
>     has happened to my system by running the latest
>     compiles (e.g. I'm on VLC 3.0.0-git-20170731-0258).
>     You'll have to tweak the GUI to make that red
>     Record button appear (not there by default), then
>     search on how to record a live stream with VLC;
>     use the mpd URI posted previously...
>     VLC 3.0.0-git muxes the segmented FLAC
>     stream inside the OGG container by default,
>     resulting in an .ogg file.
>
>     MediaInfo log:
>
>     Format                                   : Ogg
>     Format/Info                              : Free Lossless Audio Codec
>     File size                                : 7.47 MiB
>     Duration                                 : 1 min 21 s
>     Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
>     Overall bit rate                         : 772 kb/s
>
>     Audio
>     ID                                       : 533993841 (0x1FD41971)
>     Format                                   : FLAC
>     Format/Info                              : Free Lossless Audio Codec
>     Muxing mode                              : pre-FLAC 1.1.1
>     Duration                                 : 1 min 21 s
>     Bit rate mode                            : Variable
>     Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
>     Channel positions                        : Front: L R
>     Sampling rate                            : 48.0 kHz
>     Bit depth                                : 16 bits
>
>      HOWEVER, any attempt to extract (demux) the RAW audio
>     stream with FFmpeg (3.3.1) fails for me, unless I
>     recode to flac:
>
>     ffmpeg -v 16 -stats -i "vlc-record-2017-08-03-01h36m18s-Radio 3
>     lossless-.ogg" -vn -c:a copy "Radio 3 lossless.flac" =>
>
>     Could not write header for output file #0 (incorrect codec
>     parameters ?):
>     Invalid data found when processing input
>     (a 0.00 Byte file is created).
>
>     ffmpeg -v 8 -stats -i "vlc-record-2017-08-03-01h36m18s-Radio 3
>     lossless-.ogg" -vn -c:a flac "Radio 3 lossless.flac"
>
>     successfully produces a .flac file!
>     (verbosity reduced to 8 to prevent voluminous console output,

Thanks for all this technical info.  I'll look into what I can do with it.

>      Best regards to all from super hot Greece!
>     (29 Celsius @ 02:00 am)

Although I'm very grateful, wtf are you wasting holiday time on the likes of
me?!  Enjoy it while you can!  Up here in Sutherland we've had rain every
day for about 10 days now, and at least 5 days more is forecast.  The one
exception was yesterday when for a few brief hours the grass was rather less
wet, so I thought I'd better mow while I could, even though to get it done I
had to raise the blades for a higher, less intensive cut.

Thanks again, best wishes, and regards, Charles.