April fool or real?

RS richard22j at zoho.com
Fri Apr 7 07:50:47 PDT 2017

The web page says it is there for 6 months.  However it is only one short
piece of choral music.  I wonder what the BBC is hoping to get from it.  The
suggestion that anyone is going to hear a difference with laptop speakers
seems a bit odd.  Like Jim I would have thought it was necessary to be able
to download it so that it could be played on better equipment than the
browser was running on.  Also there doesn't seem to be anything to compare
the FLAC with.

If the trial is to be of any use I would have expected it to include music
which was difficult to encode and compress.  It is not my field of expertise
but intuitively I would have expected that to be fast transients such as
percussion, piano, pizzicato violin, harp and instruments with lots of
overtones.  David Lake mentions audience applause.  I would have expected
choral music to be easier to compress than these.

I came across this forum post a few weeks ago.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/728636/public-listening-test-of-codecs-mp3-aac-mp4-ogg-vorbis-and-opus
I thought post #2 by bigshot was interesting.  He says for each codec the
point of transparency should be found.  This is the bit rate at which
artefacts from the most difficult sounds to encode and compress cease to be
perceptible, so there is no benefit from increasing the bit rate further or
going lossless.  He says from his tests that is 256kbit/s VBR AAC .  If he
is right there should be no audible difference between 320kbit/s AAC and
FLAC.

When are we going to get 256kbit/s AC3 TV sound on the iPlayer to match the
HD satellite broadcasts?