[Get-iPlayer] Re: BBC iPlayer login will be required from 2017

RS richard22j at zoho.com
Thu Sep 29 09:19:37 PDT 2016

I find it difficult to understand how anyone would want to catch up from a
radio station whose name he or she did not know.  To listen live on FM he or
she would need to know the frequency on which it transmitted, having looked
it up by station name. If there is a demand for identifying local radio
stations and regional television channels by post code, by all means let
users opt into it.  Anyone who doesn't want it should be allowed to opt out,
or rather be opted out by default.

My concern is privacy.  Did you read Vangelis's comment about his research
into what the information will be used for?  It is very different from what
it says on the registration page.  The BBC is required to comply with the
Data Protection Principles.  I am waiting for the person I spoke to at the
Information Commissioner's Office to call me back to tell me if anyone is
doing work on this.  If not I have been told I should in the first instance
write to the BBC's (or probably now OFCOM's) Data Protection Officer and
give him or her 28 days to reply, and then refer it to the ICO.