[Get-iPlayer] Re: BBC iPlayer login will be required from 2017

RS richard22j at zoho.com
Wed Sep 28 06:44:19 PDT 2016

>From: Vangelis forthnet Sent: Wednesday, September 28, 2016 01:47

>Again, I fear this will also apply to Int'l users (in the millions...)
>wishing to access iPlayerRadio offered to them (in low bitrates); in their
>recently revised pages: https://www.bbc.com/register/
>https://www.bbc.co.uk/usingthebbc/account/help-registering/
>you need provide age, valid e-mail address and password; their "register"
>page automatically figures out (via IP check) physical location of
>registeree and auto-completes the Country input field; if !=UK, you need
>not provide a postcode.

Thanks for the second of those links.  It seems to me a huge leap from
requiring a name, address and credit card number to pay for a television
licence to gathering the information referred to on this page.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/usingthebbc/account/why-do-i-have-to-provide-personal-info-when-i-register/
The reasons given for collecting the information seem pretty flimsy.  Ought
there to be a capability to opt out?  It would be interesting to find out
whether it has been considered by the Information Commissioner.  I am not a
parent, but are parents happy with what is said on expanding the Age
heading, or other pages which refer to children?  I thought Facebook did not
allow accounts to be created by those under 13.  Why should the BBC be any
different?  Ought parents to be able to see what their young children are
writing on a message board?

Some information about my use of the iPlayer could be gleaned through the
use of cookies.  Do I want my use recorded against my email address and
postcode?