can I populate the download_history without actualy downloading

Vangelis forthnet northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr
Wed Sep 7 16:07:42 PDT 2016

On Wed Sep 7 23:18:02 BST 2016, Jon Davies wrote:

> If get-iplayer tries to download a programme
> that already exists on disk, it won't download it again.

... This was my immediate thought, too,
when I read about Dave's predicament;
indeed, if --overwrite is not specified, then
GiP won't re-record an existing download,
provided that the new recording attempt
would have produced a file with the same
<filename> substitution parameter
(same file name and download directory), i.e.

Dave informed us that he had lost his
original history file due to disk failure,
but maybe he has salvaged (some?)
of his downloads via backups in other disks (???)

So, for this idea to work, he should place all
"programs he had already downloaded"
to the same location that GiP is currently configured
to place downloads (output directory),
provided the <fileprefix> parameter is
still the same as before the disk crash...

Regards,
Vangelis.

Edit: I now see Alan beat me to it!