License question

John Bingham john at ukmail.org
Fri Sep 2 06:18:33 PDT 2016

I read the original post: "Beeb is asking if I have a license now, sigh".

My first thought was that this prevented GiP, and hence my script, from
working, so I checked it out (on Linux) and didn't find a problem.

I thus deduced that the concern was probably from someone who didn't
have a license.  Of course, I don't know this to be true and apologise
if my assumption was incorrect.

My second paragraph was a comment on a general problem in our society:
people wanting something for nothing.

Clearly the BBC, in my opinion the best broadcaster in the world, needs
funding.  It could be by advertising; it could be via direct government
funding.  In either case, the funders could exert pressure on the way
their money is spent.  The license fee is less direct and goes some way
to helping the BBC to maintain its independence.  The fact that some
people have used the service without paying isn't right and this attempt
to tighten up license fee payment is to be supported.