v2.97 with sensible TV download sizes?

Shevek shevek at shevek.co.uk
Sun Oct 2 11:26:39 PDT 2016

On 2 October 2016 at 16:01, Sharon Kimble <boudiccas at skimble.plus.com> wrote:

<snip>

> When I've tried 2.97 it only seems to download 1gb+ sized files, which
> is much too big for my needs. I don't need, or want, a full-screen
> display as its only ever watched on this computer, but how can I do it
> please?

This is not because of "full-screen" - the maximum resolution
available from iPlayer is 720p (1280x720)

The reason you are getting 1GB+ files is because of the frame rate -
the downloads you are getting are 50 fps which doubles the size over
the old modes

> I've looked at 'https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/wiki/modes'
> and also
> 'https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/wiki/modesref#tv-modes' but
> I'm still unable to get a sensible download size with 2.97.
>
> Can anyone help with a 'tvmode' for my config file that works to fulfil
> my requirements please?

The one you want (and the one I use for precisely the reasons you have
stated!) is tv25fps

This will ensure you download the 25fps @ 720p version which you
should find is the size you are expecting.