[Get-iPlayer] Re: BBC iPlayer login will be required from 2017

d.lake at surrey.ac.uk d.lake at surrey.ac.uk
Sat Oct 1 09:05:41 PDT 2016

Radio 3 is NOT a "classical only" station.  It has a remit of "culture" which includes experimental music, spoken word, World music, folk music, etc.

In fact, you could say that "Classical" music would leave us with a rather poor diet of not much earlier than Mozart and not much later than Beethoven....

I for one am glad that we have "broad"casting on Radio 3 which includes many things I have never even heard of before.

If I want to be spoon-fed like a 5 year old and inundated with adverts for junk I don't want to buy, I'll go to Classic FM.

(The same is true on Radio 4 - the times I have turned on and ended up deliberately extending my journey home because I found something I previously had no knowledge of to be fascinating.....   Same is mostly true of BBC 4 as well).

Having lived for 4 1/2 years in the cultural wastelands of the US of A, you can't even BEGIN to realise how grateful I am for R3/R4, BBC2/4. We really do have something very, very special in the Beeb.

David