TV Cache missing some days

Alan Milewczyk alan at soulman1949.com
Tue Nov 15 17:27:22 PST 2016

On 16/11/16 00:10, Vangelis forthnet wrote:

> It's comforting to read that my services within this list
> are being appreciated (unlike some other GiP-related
> place where I am mostly met by grief...).

Your comments are ALWAYS appreciated on this list. Without a doubt, your
replies are comprehensive and helpful! Many of us would be lost without
your input.

As for the other place, I just find the tone there absolutely
horrendously arrogant and rude, it's run like a mediaeval fiefdom. A
while back I worked in a tech support environment and came across
similar attitudes - I didn't fit in with the nasty ethos there as I
always tried to give support in a respectful supportive manner!

Anyway...

> But everyone should keep in their minds that, still, my
> knowledge of get_iplayer is incomplete :-( ;
> not only because I am running it (since Dec 2010) on
> one specific platform only, but also because
> I am not the person authoring the code, nor am I
> able to interpret most of it - it is only because I
> have a good grasp on the insides of BBC iPlayer
> itself that I am able to understand the ways in
> which GiP functions...

It's many years since I did any programming, I'm more at home in an
engineering environment so wading through lines and lines of code
doesn't come easily.  But having said that, I recently came across an
issue where GIP was asking me if I wanted to delete some programmes as
they'd been downloaded 28 (or is it 30) days ago - I was delighted to
find the subroutine that covered this and to "rem" it out! ;-)

> I am also currently overwhelmed by trepidation
> as to how the new BBC iPlayer changes (due in 2017)
> will affect GiP (tho' I'm confident the coder will
> accommodate) and my personal access to its content...

I hope that your fears are unjustified. I think you're not the only one
who values the service.

> And one other thing: For this list not to die,
> more members should actively participate
> into offering help, not just a select few...
>
> Finally, I have advanced queries myself,
> often involving the core GiP perl code itself.
> With the only maintainer distancing himself
> from the list two years ago, is there anyone in
> this list (that can interpret, modify, write new
> perl code) I can appeal to when it's my turn
> to seek assistance?
>
> Thanks for your time,
> Vangelis.

Agree with your comments, we need others chipping in and there is
definitely a need for PERL skills on this list.

Best wishes from the UK, where it's currently mild but gonna get colder,
however in a week from now I'll be somewhere over China on my way to the
Philippines for another 4 months with my Pinay partner. Yay! ;-)

Regards

Alan