Offtopic noise: Re: BBC iPlayer viewers now need a...

James Scholes james at jls-radio.com
Wed May 18 05:49:18 PDT 2016

Please, for the love of God, see below.

C E Macfarlane wrote:
> Better to do it IF there is the demand.  So far we've only heard NAYs in
> response here, so it doesn't seem likely, but if as many or more YEAHs
> appear, then I would be willing to pursue the matter further.

It's now reached the stage where the noise about the off-topic noise has
become louder than the original off-topic noise it was aiming to stop,
with people replying just to score points against the opposition.
Honestly I've worked with children who are less likely to answer back
than some of the adults on this list.

Personally, rather than some theoretical vote about some silly idea to
move to a newsgroup which isn't going to happen, I vote we all just shut
up.  The list is clearly here to stay, get_iplayer is working, everyone
is happy.  If you want to discuss newsgroup clients, go elsewhere.  No
wonder a forum was created for GiP - I wouldn't wish wading through this
mess on anybody, least of all the developer(s) of the fine software we
all use every day.

In many other communities, the continued proliferation of this sort of
traffic would see you removed and/or moderated at the very least.
Please try to bear that in mind before replying to me just to tell me
how much you disagree with my tone.  Or if you do, have the decency and
common sense to do it off-list.

Thank you, and a good afternoon to you all.
--
James Scholes
http://twitter.com/JamesScholes