hlshd download speeds

RS richard22j at zoho.com
Sat Jul 23 06:14:33 PDT 2016

From: Chris Allison
Sent: Friday, July 22, 2016 22:37
To: RS

>You could use the linux/freebsd utility detox, compiled under cygwin
>to clean up file names.

Many thanks for the suggestion.  I think it is probably easier to use Linux
directly rather than install and learn to use cygwin.  detox  looks a much
more powerful program than the only partially working Windows equivalent I
found here.
http://dimitar.me/quickly-remove-special-characters-from-file-names/

I found this article.
http://www.computerhope.com/unix/rename.htm

>From that I derived
rename  -v  -n  's/://'  *
for a preview.  For the actual rename I removed -n

I could see the external drive in File Manager but I struggled to address it
in Terminal.  With the help of Linux for Dummies I used
cd  /media/KINGSTON/ddd
where ddd was the name of the directory.

Even booting the live Ubuntu CD was not without problems.  I used a HP
laptop which I have not booted from another device before.  I couldn't see
the DVD drive in the boot menu.  I went through the BIOS settings to confirm
that it was enabled.  Eventually it dawned on me that Notebook update bay
was HP's name for a DVD drive.

Anyway I now have a solution which works and is a lot less effort than move
short file name.

I still don't understand how anyone can claim to have done this in a
Powershell script.  If a : is included in a Get-ChildItem filter it says
Second path fragment must not be a drive or UNC name.  If it is escaped as
\: Powershell says Illegal characters in path.