get_iplayer downloads .ts files

Vangelis forthnet northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr
Mon Jul 18 19:01:14 PDT 2016

On Mon Jul 18 17:00:43 BST 2016, Jon Davies wrote:

> By default, get-iplayer has produced .mp4 files
> for a long time, and it still does.
> So there's something in the way you've configured it
> that's producing .ts files.
> most likely you've asked it to produce raw files.

Hi, Jon

 I do not want to step in your shoes in the slightest,
you are doing an absolutely sterling job with
GiP with your PPA (BTW thanks for hosting
win32 AP binaries!), but may I also suggest that
the OP produces a verbose log of a video download
which should help significantly in troubleshooting, e.g.

get_iplayer --pid=p041c2rv -v > verbose_log.txt 2>&1

(test video of only 5min in duration)

GiP 2.95 now by default records in hlshd tvmode,
video file is indeed recorded first as .ts (MPEG-TS
container, as being the result of HLS dump), but is
subsequently remuxed to the MP4 container (.mp4
file) via FFmpeg/avconv so it can be tagged by AP.
Maybe the OP has something gone awry with his
FFmeg/avconv (depending on OS/distro) configuration
that is hindering the final remux to MP4, thus
leaving him with un-remuxed .ts files.
As I am clueless in non-Windows, you should be able
to assist him further in possibly fixing it...

Best regards,
Vangelis.