hlshd download speeds

RS richard22j at zoho.com
Sun Jul 17 05:27:19 PDT 2016

From: Nick Payne
Sent: Friday, July 15, 2016 09:46

>I've never seen a USB3 slowdown on either operating system on any of our
>PCs or laptops, nor had any USB3 connected devices suddenly drop from view.
>I run my backups to external USB3 drives, and the Robocopy log from the
>latest backup of my PC reports average throughput to the USB3 drive as
>being 120Mb/sec:

I have come to the conclusion that the external USB3 drive is faulty.  It is
a 2TByte Samsung M3 badged as Maxtor M3.  I also have a 1TByte Samsung M3.
When I downloaded to that the download ran at the usual 60Mbit/s instead of
2.5Mbit/s to the Maxtor.  I only have USB2 ports so I can't match your
120MByte/s, but the large (1GByte) file writing speed to the Samsung drive
is 29MByte/s.  To the Maxtor the large file writing speed is 10MByte/s.

Why the Maxtor slows down the HLSHD download in Windows 10 and not Windows 7
or Vista and why the slow down is so severe and remarkably consistent remain
a mystery, but at least I now know what the solution is.

Thanks to everyone who commented.  The comments have been a great help in
narrowing down the problem.