Disabling television mode

Mark Carroll mtbc at ixod.org
Wed Jul 13 00:55:21 PDT 2016

On 13 Jul 2016, Jeremy Nicoll wrote:

> On 2016-07-12 21:49, Colin Law wrote:
(snip)
>> I don't think that is illegal.  That is because it is the house that
>> is licensed not the person.  Anyone can watch a tv that is on those
>> premises.
>
> No they can't/couldn't.  Did they not have to be members of your family
> /
> household (or guests)?

This is described in links one can find from the URL Roger already gave!
For instance, http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/faqs/FAQ111 says, "At the
licensed place by anyone", with exceptions only for things like, "Any
parts of your premises with separate administrative arrangements e.g.
paying guests." If one has some particularly tricky situation that's of
interest then one may want to ask TV licensing or a lawyer. The point is
that one's home's licence obviously doesn't cover a server out at some
colo facility.

Dragging us back from general legal advice (!) to Roger's actual topic
of get_iplayer: The script is actually very clearly written so it's
usually not too hard to hack a bit. For instance, in taking a quick look
just now at the latest version, I figured that in the Streamer stuff
wherever there's a "sub get {" followed by a "my ... $prog ... @_;" then
I can just follow that with a new line,

	die "download radio only!" unless $prog->{type} =~ /radio/;

and sure enough I seem to have blocked non-radio downloads. (My
reasoning was that Streamer "get" stuff is probably exactly where the
download happens.) Of course this is entirely unsupported and will need
another go for each new version but I'd certainly encourage those who
are willing to learn a bit of Perl to go ahead and try adjusting the
script because it's actually rather better constructed than much
commercial software! I'm not saying that my exact suggestion is (a) a
good idea or (b) what you want, more that with a bit of experimentation
you might find it easier than you think to get what you want.

-- Mark