Bl**dy Beeb Truncations on iPlayer

Jim web web at audiomisc.co.uk
Fri Jul 1 01:31:07 PDT 2016

In article
<CAJEH5C2c2pqjKVsbjA2fuwy-3T4y7kLPm0LhuQfS=SOmUTPg6g at mail.gmail.com>, Jon
Davies <jon at hedgerows.org.uk> wrote:
> On 30 June 2016 at 18:19, CJB <chrisjbrady at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Thank Don
> >
> > I'll check out others over the weekend. But this has been going on for
> > years.The Beeb says that it adds 2 mins to the start and end of a
> > prog. but if  programme is say 30 mins long then the file should be 34
> > mins not 28 or less etc.!!

> This is a pointless conversation.  all get_iplayer does (and can do) is
> download the media content that the BBC makes available.

It occurs to me to ask about a similar issue, though.

I usually get the 'Inside Science' programme (R4) each week. This - and
some other programmes - are broadcast in two versions. One is shortened to
make space for items like the 'listening project'.

Annoyingly, they give the same PID for both on the main iplayer schedule
pages, and what I get as a 320k aac is the 'shortened' version. It seems to
be possible to go to the programme page and get a longer version, but as a
low rate mp3.

The above practice seems to have become routine and standard for some
programmes that sit in slots adjacent to 'Listening project' type items. I
confess that when it come to 'on demand' they don't simply provide the
'full' versions by default since there is clearly no need to make way for
the smaller item that follows on live broadcast.

Note that the above behaviour is different to the programme producers
occasionally making an 'extended' version available, just to confuse the
issue.

So my question is: Is there a way to have gip fetch a 320k aac full
version? I suspect the answer is 'no' and that the BBC simply don't
generate this. I've not been able to find it. But if it is generated and
available I'd welcome being told how to obtain it.

Jim