get_iplayer currently broken...

Vangelis forthnet northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr
Wed Jan 13 12:25:58 PST 2016

On Wed Jan 13 19:43:20 GMT 2016, CJB wrote:

> Better had they opted for a legal 'pay to view'
> or 'pay to download' model.

But they have...it's the BBC Store I wrote about only
very recently...Pay to view (DRM'd) VOD streams,
download (DRM'd) VOD files - or buy the BBC DVDs
if you really want to cough up money...

> But then we pay enough for the licence as it is.
> Why can't they allow free downloads for UK residents at least?

Paying the licence fee (or its equivalent taxation
in other countries) to watch (Public) TV does not
make you eligible for owning copyrighted material,
especially for free;
the rights holders are the sole owners
of the content, which is licenced to the BBC for
air broadcast/online streaming etc.,
according to the arrangements made between them
and the Beeb;
the broadcaster uses the licence funds
to negotiate those arrangements, which govern the ways
in which the copyrighted material is disseminated to
viewers; those arrangements in most cases do not include
"free downloads".
I am not a lawyer and sadly I cannot express myself
well in law terminology, but I suspect you do get the gist
of what I wrote...
So no, what you ask for is a ...pipe dream!

Respects,
V.