now for something completely different

Ralph Corderoy ralph at inputplus.co.uk
Sat Jan 9 03:04:19 PST 2016

Hi terry,

> Whether it has the memory is a different story.

I recently upgraded a 1GiB VM to a later Ubuntu, gaining systemd, and
now find its pages running the same software as before.  That's mainly
weechat-curses, an IRC client, going all the time, and the occasional
get_iplayer.  The latter maxes out at about 200MiB, I think, when doing
a --pvrrun on a single match.  Quite a chunk.  I see it's pulling in
Perl's XML::Parser that uses Expat, but haven't dug any deeper.

Am I right in thinking it has to read a bunch of data files and then
fork and exec rtmpdump and ffmpeg to do the hard work?

Cheers, Ralph.