320kbps radio audio available via MPEG-DASH

Jim web web at audiomisc.co.uk
Sat Jan 9 02:15:55 PST 2016

In article <C1115A8B47274A1EBE281C4CEE950C21 at vasonote>, Vangelis
forthnet
<northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr> wrote:
> On Fri Jan 8 14:41:43 GMT 2016, Jim web wrote:

> > I think I now need to sort out switching to HLS for radio fetching
> > rather than RTMP! (snip) The 320k via HLS has been available for some
> > months for most of the BBC stations.

> Hi Jim - what you describe has indeed been true for LIVE RADIO streams;
> GiP 2.94 already records the 320kbps/48kHz AAC LC live streams (when in
> the UK) via AppleHLS, it's the "hlsaachigh" liveradiomodes, e.g.

> get_iplayer --type=liveradio --pid=bbc_radio_two
> --liveradiomode=hlsaachigh --force

> > what has been said here about using HLS for radio

>  What was recently discussed here in the list was the availability of
> AOD (Listen Again) BBC Radio at elevated bitrates via MPEG-DASH
> streaming method (previously, only Radio 3 via RTMP was offered at
> 320kbps...).

Aha! Yes, I think that may explain it. I'd been told that 320k had been
available for months via HLS, but hadn't twigged it might only be so for
live streams rather than AOD. So I conflated the two. I probably did this
because my habit has become to always use AOD by using gip to get a file,
then play it.

I'll see if I can clarify this further with the people I know.

Sorry for the confusion.

FWIW I understand the BBC intend to make MPEG-DASH their 'primary' access
method with HLS just being for receiver platforms/players which prefer it
for some reason. They'd originally intended to go straight from RTMP to
MPEG-DASH, but adopted alternatives because not all receiver platforms
could use MPEG-DASH/html5.

Jim