Controlling intermediate files.

Jon Davies jon at hedgerows.org.uk
Thu Jan 7 01:42:57 PST 2016

On 30 December 2015 at 14:40, Treacle Pudding <xmas.excess at gmail.com> wrote:
> HI all,
> Happy new year.
>
> First, a preemptive apology. Sorry - I'm sure that this question has
> been asked before, but I've searched the list archive and can't find
> it (or an answer).
>
> So..when downloading a radio program,  get_iplayer runs rtmpdump and
> creates a "*partial.m4a.flv"  file then ffmpeg copies it to
> "*partial.m4a" then AtomicParsley adds tags and creates *.m4a".  My
> question is then, can the first two files be directed to a different
> location than the final output?  e.g. a ram-disk or /tmp

yes and no.

what you can do is store all the downloaded files in an intermediate
location (you suggested a ram disk or /tmp) (--output if your friend
here), and then use --command to move the files to where you want them
to be stored once downloaded.

you haven't said where/how you're running get-iplayer, so I can't give
you any examples.  But this has come up before - google for
"site:http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/get_iplayer/ network drive"
and you'll find some examples of people who download programmes to a
local drive, and then move them to a network drive.

jon