Another BBC News Clip

Vangelis forthnet northmedia1 at the.forthnet.gr
Sat Feb 6 16:39:12 PST 2016

On Sat Feb 6 00:16:50 GMT 2016, tellyaddict wrote:

> I knew it was in the archives somewhere
> but had no idea where to look.
> Is there an easy way to search the archives?

Hi - that is an interesting question, indeed :-)

The main "infradead" list archive at:

http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/get_iplayer/

does not provide a native search facility -
but its contents are indexed by Google and,
probably, other major search engines.

 What I do myself is keep local copies of the
list e-mails that I deem important to me inside
a "gipml" folder, in my e-mail client; these include
some of my sent e-mails as well as received ones...
This is the first place I begin my searches, via
my e-mail client's search function; once I've located
a specific mail, it's then quite easy to pinpoint it
in the month-by-month online archive and retrieve
its URL.

Another, somewhat similar, method of personal
archiving is by creating in my browser (Firefox)
a "gipml" bookmarks folder and save inside it as
bookmarks the URLs to list archive posts (mine
and other members') that, again, are or significance
to me. By using my browser's native bookmark
search feature, I can quickly arrive to a single
post I search for...Provided, of course,
"lists.infradead.org" is online...

Finally, the mirror archive provided by
"www.mail-archive.com" at:

http://www.mail-archive.com/get_iplayer@lists.infradead.org/maillist.html

DOES COME  with an inherent search engine;
however you should be careful which search
arguments you use; you've got to have some
idea already of the sender's name, the time the
message was sent, if the mail's title was relevant
to what you're actually searching for, etc...

If I search for "BBC News", it'll find 284 matches.
Click the "Advanced search" link to filter out
better the numerous matches. If I filter for
"Vangelis forthnet" as the sender and limit
search to e-mails no older than 6 months
("Date within 6 months of "/"Sort by date",
then type "today"), the results are narrowed
down to 23; my mail with the content you
wanted appears 7th in the list:

http://www.mail-archive.com/get_iplayer%40lists.infradead.org/msg08157.html

Hope I provided useful guidance...

==============================
OT discussion concerning tellyaddict/tvfan:

With regards to the following forum post of yours:

https://squarepenguin.co.uk/forums/thread-651-post-3529.html#pid3529

I'd have to agree with dinky in that using FFmpeg
to record manually the applehls streams
(hls tvmodes in GiP lingo) is the best approach
and not-at-all difficult, once you get the simple logic
behind the procedure...
I think you're on Windows, so what you need is:
1. A proper text editor, to manually parse playlists
and to compose the ffmpeg command; using notepad
is not advised, I've found it to insert very often unneeded
whitespaces and/or line breaks.
(I use PSPad editor: http://www.pspad.com/en/ ,
but I think Notepad++ is one of the most popular:
https://notepad-plus-plus.org/).
2. A copy of Zeranoe's FFmpeg binary; latest point
release is 2.8.6, x86 will also run on x64 OS:
http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/win32/static/ffmpeg-2.8.6-win32-static.7z
Save somewhere you have write access and unpack -
run "ff-prompt.bat" and that's where you'll have to
paste composed ffmpeg command.
No need to search for and use the ffmpeg build
that comes with GiP already...
3. Consult the "B. Video example" section of my
detailed guide at:
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/get_iplayer/2016-January/008604.html

Since you are in the UK, mediaset=iptv-all will work, too,
but you may follow dinky's advice and use
mediaset=apple-ipad-hls (which will also work for
overseas users, since - YES - the "daily-drop" clips/trailers
are available globally!). Do not be intimidated by the
apparent complexity, do try it!
"Life and Death Row Season 2" has vpid=p03hnj9c -
here is your chance :-)

End of OT discussion