[OT] TOTPs not offered in HD (720p)

RS richard22j at zoho.com
Thu Dec 29 05:27:04 PST 2016

I only have one receiver which can receive Freeview HD.  That does not have
a surround sound receiver connected, and I have not tried to record from it,
so I can't comment on Freeview.

I do most of my viewing from satellite.  This page
http://www.lyngsat.com/Astra-2E-2F-2G.html
shows that APIDs 5401, 5501 and 5301 use AC3.  When the AC3 encoder is
switched on VLC shows an AC3 stream and a stereo stream are usually
transmitted.  In some films I have seen the DTS indicator on my surround
sound receiver light but not, I think, on the BBC.  Dolby Digital is more
usual.  Many broadcasters use Dolby ProLogic on their stereo streams.

When HD transmission first started the AC3 encoder was switched on for every
BBC continuity announcement.  There was a short clip which exercised all 5.1
channels.

The discussion was about non-HD material on HD channels.  The same applies
with AC3.  Turning on the AC3 encoder does not mean there is surround sound
material.  Many sporting events are broadcast with an AC3 stream.

Most coverage of the Proms is particularly disappointing.  In order to allow
the vision editor to change camera angles every few seconds there is usually
a very narrow sound stage heavily band limited, with almost nothing on the
sub-woofer channel.  I much to prefer to listen to a concert with a fairly
static vision image and proper use of surround sound even if I can only have
Dolby ProLogic on a SD channel.

I agree that I have not seen any use of AC3 on the iPlayer.